I discovered meditation in 2000, young and intrigued with consciousness and the unconscious mind. Tormented by my own, meditation offered me awareness of my thought patterns. It allowed me peace from the madness that could be my body-mind. I’ve studied Yoga from then on, mostly in aim to stabilize my tendencies of pushing too hard and too fast, too much perfectionism, too much thinking, analyzing, stressing, achieving, rebelling, burning out.
Yoga and meditation, coupled with an acute interest in holistic health and the politics in food and medicine (spawned from my own health struggles and diary-farm-childhood) cultivated visions of dance, leading me to the contemporary and post-modern dance worlds where I learned and lived embodiment and awareness in mindful (and consciously abandoned) movement. Dancing and exploring movement have fueled my appetite for life, for real food with strong and sensitive taste buds aligned with my body’s needs through full-on embodiment, joy, the creative process, community.
In 2008 I started teaching dance and since, teaching, guiding, facilitating has been my profession, in various forms of dance, improvisation, writing, yoga, and meditation. Somatics and experiential anatomy were persistent studies through my dance years that involved detailed hands-on work, which inspired my trainings in 2015-2016 of the massage techniques and Yoga therapeutics I offer, grounding purpose in sharing one-on-one, combining Yoga, meditation, breath, movement, bodywork, and the larger spectrum of holistic health, particularly with food and nutrition, herbs, Ayruvedic and Traditional Chinese Medicine principles.
Discipline in body-mind practices has empowered more moments of freedom from my own baggage, through dissolving layers of blockage, tension, and culturally constructed limitations, and this is from what and why I share: because the journey of health and balance is our right, our liberation, already here, available to us.
“It’s the best back massage I ever had.” Jóhanna G. Hafliðadóttir
Education and Certification
Yoga (“senior teacher” = 25+ years teaching experience)
- Yoga Therapeutics Advanced Teacher Training based on Five Element Theory and TCM meridian system with Tina Nance, Scholarship Recipient, Bali, Indonesia 2016
- Breath Workshop with senior teacher Simon Borg-Olivier, Bali, Indonesia 2015
- Advanced Yoga Teacher Training with senior teacher Dominique Renucci, Rishikesh, India 2015
- Anusara Master Course with senior teacher Jonas Westring, Chiang Mai, Thailand 2014
- Vinyasa Teacher Training with senior teacher Dominique Renucci, Shanghai, China 2014
- Vinyasa with Pelvic Floor Focus Workshops with senior teacher Hart Lazer, Hanoi, Vietnam 2013
- Vinyasa Teacher Training with senior teacher Dominique Renucci, Hanoi, Vietnam 2012
- Foot Reflexology Certification, Bali Bisa, Bali, Indonesia 2015
- Blend Touch Massage Certification (Ayurvedic/Swedish), Tattva Ayurveda & Panchkarma Center, Rishikesh, India 2015
Dance & Movement
- Capoeira with Zungu & Senzala Capoeira, Bali, Indonesia 2015-2016
- Ghanian dances as dancer, drummer and vocalist, California Institute for the Arts 2011-2012
- Somatics & Experiential Anatomy, Alexander and Release Technique, Ballet, and Break Dance, Zenon Dance School, Minneapolis, Minnesota 2005-2008
- African-based Movement, Guinean, Ghanian, and Ivorian dances as dancer, drummer and vocalist, University of Minnesota & Various Teachers, Minneapolis, Minnesota 2001-2002
- EFT / TFT Tapping Master Practitioner Certification with Graham Nicholls 2019-2020
- Holistic Healthcare Practitioner Certification, Global Institute for Holistic Health 2003-2004
Undergraduate and Graduate Studies
- MFA Writing & Critical Studies, California Institute for the Arts 2010-2012
- BFA Dance Equivalent, Zenon Dance School, Minneapolis, Minnesota 2005-2008
- BA Political Science, University Of Minnesota 1996-2001